Simple Chicken Francese: No Wine Needed

Simple Chicken Francese: No Wine Needed

Imagine the stone pavements of Paris illuminated by the city lights surrounding the monumental Eiffel Tower. Imagine sitting down for dinner in a family owned restaurant, the smells of authentic European food whetting your appetite as you finger through the menu.

“What shall you order, Sir or Madame?”

“Chicken Francese, please.”

And with that request, the waiter will undoubtedly sigh.

Contrary to popular belief, Chicken Francese is not a French dish at all, but named after the method used to make the dish. In fact, the original recipe was believed to have been created in Rochester, New York by Italian-American chefs.

Although the recipe traditionally calls for an array of fresh herbs, Italian spices, and a basket of ingredients, we will be taking a “student-budget” approach to this popular recipe that includes no wine and uses very affordable ingredients.

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Serves: 2-4 People

Ingredients:

4-6 Chicken Breasts

4 Eggs

1/3 Cup of Flour

½ Cup Parmesan Cheese

For a lighter taste, substitute Parmesan with Asiago. For something stronger, try Cheddar.

4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice

Butter

Olive Oil

Parsley

Salt and Pepper

Prep:

Mix together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Pound the chicken breasts evenly on both sides to make it thinner and tender.

“French the Chicken Breasts”

Coat chicken breasts in flour

Dip chicken breasts in mixture

Coat chicken breasts in flour again

Cook:

Over medium heat, preferably in a nonstick pan, heat about a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a little bit butter to evenly coat the pan.

Place chicken in the pan and cook evenly on both sides for about 3-4 minutes or until brown.

Place a little lemon juice on top of each chicken about a minute before you remove from the pan.

Note: For a crispier taste, cook at medium-to-high heat uncovered. For a softer and juicier taste, place a teaspoon or two of water in the pan and cover with a lid during the cooking process.

This dish will go great with a steamed vegetable medley and some roasted potatoes and pumpkins. Feel free to use veal, shrimp or other meats, or substitute meats with squash or eggplants if you want to go for a vegetarian approach.

Regardless of your preferences, I hope you give this inexpensive and simple recipe a try sometime soon. Next week, we will be tackling the first week of October with a very warm and comforting Pumpkin Soup recipe that will surely keep you healthy and full. As always, have fun engineering something in the kitchen and always enjoy good eats!