ARTicle: Lionel Gould

ARTicle: Lionel Gould

Welcome to this week’s ARTicle! We’re interviewing our Featured Artist of the Week, Student Art Society’s Treasurer.

ArtBoss: What’s your name?

Artist: Lionel Gould.

ArtBoss: What major did you choose and what year are you in?

Lionel: Digital Design. I’m a Junior.

ARTicle issue 7 (3)

ArtBoss: What’s your favorite color?

Lionel: Black.

ArtBoss: What’s your favorite animal?

Lionel: A lion.

ArtBoss: Haha, that can’t just be coincidental So, what are the major influences of your art?

Lionel: Various corporate amalgamations of video game artists and animators. Also, my mother.

ArtBoss: Well, that’s sweet of you. What are your favorite subjects for your art?

Lionel: Human structure and motion, but I do find most inspiration just looking out of a moving window.

ArtBoss: Oh, moving windows! What a car trip! Actually, road trips are the inspiration for lots of my photography work. What’s your favorite art medium?

Lionel: Charcoal (if I remember to bring gloves), then digital 3D modeling programs, then acrylic paint.

ARTicle issue 7 (1)

ArtBoss: Do you have a favorite art piece?

Lionel: Pablo Picasso’s “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon”. I had to redraw it and I really loved the abstract human and environmental forms.

ArtBoss: I’ve seen that piece – it’s quite strange. So, who’s your favorite artist?

Lionel: Vincent van Gogh; I particularly like his self portraits

ArtBoss: Ah yes, van Gogh is an old favorite of mine as well. So about favorites, what is your favorite place to do your art?

Lionel: Alone in my room, without distractions.

ArtBoss: Yes, alone is usually the best to do art. So what are your other hobbies?

Lionel: Video games, various sports, hanging out with friends. I do 3D animation in my spare time if I’m REALLY inspired and not feeling especially lazy.

ARTicle issue 7 (4)

ArtBoss: That’s a diverse set of hobbies. On another note, what’s the best thing about being part of SAS?

Lionel: The community! Hanging out with the members and doing art activities with them. It’s fun to hang out and criticize each other’s work.

ArtBoss: Lastly, how did you feel about being chosen as our Featured Artist?

Lionel: Kinda surprised. I don’t hold myself to any standards, but I did feel honored.

ArtBoss: On behalf of the Student Art Society, we appreciate you for being our Featured Artist of the Week. Thank you for supporting us and keeping art alive at NJIT! We look forward to seeing you and your artwork during our future events!

Lionel: Thank you!

ArtBoss: You’re welcome! Readers, keep an eye out for another Featured Artist of the Week in next week’s ARTicle!

by Louie Pronstroller