“No One Gets Out Alive” Review

Netflix is back again with another great flick for this fall, now with “No One Gets Out Alive.” The film stars Cristina Rodlo as Ambar, a lonely undocumented immigrant woman who struggles to survive in America. She finds her way into Cleveland, Ohio, within a rundown but affordable housing complex, under the hands of a seemingly simple landlord and his brother. All goes for worse when she finds out the truth behind the house itself. The mysteries begin to unfold, through horror and death.  

The director, Santiago Menghini, produced a film that exerts true horror concepts through its use of thrilling cinematography and fearful situations. The realistic nature of the plot makes the film appear as if the movie is occurring in the real world. I also believe that the reality of the plot gives the audience a sense of connection to the characters themselves as well as their backgrounds and motives.  

We understand Ambar’s loneliness due to the absence of her mother who had been sick for quite a while. She is now alone on her own in a strange world. The fact that Red, her landlord and antagonist of the film, along with his brother, Becker, dislikes her and almost oppresses her shows a satirical outlook on “aliens” in our modern society. The director uses this idea of alienation along with horror to highlight the idea that immigrants to countries are ultimately outcasted and abused for their specialties, fulfilling whatever the “native” people desire, in contrast to their own. Horror as a genre can be used in numerous types of ways, especially deeply satirically, as seen in the recent films of Jordan Peele.  

Ultimately, Menghini uses horror and his plot including alienation to highlight the issues involved with immigration, sexism and overall loneliness. The horror aspects of the movie also provide an all-around creepy feel to the film itself. Through its use of partial gore and mystical, creepy creatures, the plot delivers quite a strong message of fear and thrill. I was confused and scared at the sight of the main monster present within the conclusion of the film, all thanks to Menghini’s use of horrific elements. Overall, the film delivers key insights into our modern society, with Menghini delivering important messages into the issues of many undocumented immigrants and the present dangers of our native society. The film also contains great plot sequences, horrific elements, and brilliant cinematography. So, if you are interested in finding a great horror flick for a weekend movie session, you cannot go wrong with “No One Gets Out Alive,” a solid 4.5 out of five.