YAC FEATURE: Why Join A Professional Organization?

Can a professional organization help to advance your career? Of course it can! Here are two reasons why:

Networking

Professional organizations are great for networking because they provide opportunities, such as conferences or social events, for you to make connections with people who are working or interested in your field of study. They can serve as useful resources when looking for internship and job opportunities. Most organizations also offer special scholarship opportunities solely for members, which can help to reduce or even cover your college expenses.

A Peek into the Industry

A professional organization related to your field of study is an excellent way to explore the realities of a career in that area. You will be privy to relevant information, highlighting the latest trends and developments through webinars, seminars, published journals, magazines or newsletters. This is great way for you to get a sense of what your field is all about, and to evaluate your level of interest. It is also a good way to determine whether a particular field of study really excites you.

NJIT has many professional organizations on campus that pertain to various fields of study and are worth exploring. Making this investment now may prove to be very beneficial in the future.

Got a question for YAC? Email us at YAC.NJIT@gmail,com

Kess-Ann Grant 09’