Club Spotlight – Student Activities Council (SAC)

Liem Ho

The NJIT student body was welcomed back on campus for the start of the spring semester with the Week of Winter, a week-long series of winter themed events.

On the very first day of school, the Student Activities Council (SAC) handed out free coffee, hot chocolate, and donuts at the parking deck at 7:30 AM to welcome back the commuters. Later, students were able to ice skate on the first ever indoor ice rink in Campus Center’s Ballroom.

The rest of the week’s winter themed events were hosted by SAC, which include the playing of “Happy Feet” in the Atrium, and First Friday, a carnival celebrating the “last blast of winter,” which was cohosted with Alpha Sigma Tau, Psi Sigma Kappa, and Delta Phi Epsilon sororities and the student senate. Festivities at the carnival include dancing, food, a mechanical bull, twister, and free memorabilia.

The Student Activities Council of NJIT takes on the timeless responsibility in its mission statement of “saving NJIT from boredom, one event at a time.” Although SAC has probably been around long before, archived event calendars since 1981 show that back when NJIT had a predominantly male student body, SAC once played X rated films, brought playboy bunnies onto campus, and served alcohol at events.

Looking at the upcoming semester, SAC continues to save NJIT from boredom by bringing a lot of fun packed events that have never been done before on campus. Some of these events include a murder mystery dinner, where students will sit in for a meal and actors will kidnap victims and leave clues for them to solve and find their missing friends, and a zoologist who may bring animals such as a kangaroo, crocodiles, and big jungle cats. Other popular events from last semester which are returning include zip lining down the Central King Building, the League of Legends Tournament, and the annual SAC Carnival.

SAC is a large student-run operation that can always use more help. If you are interested in running events on campus, developing leadership skills, gaining community service hours, or just even meeting and interacting with new people, attend a meeting or speak to an executive board officer for more information.

Meetings are held Wednesday nights at 9 PM in room 479 of the Campus Center, which is SAC’s office. Thank you Student Activities Council for each and every successful event hosted on campus, and keep up all of your hard work!