ΣΨK (Sigma Psi Kappa) (Psi Upsilon) Valentine’s Date Auction

Greek Organizations raise money for Heart Association, by stealing them!

The stage was set. There were hearts littering the floor, red tinsel decorating the background, and men and women all dressed up in the Atrium. These are the obvious signs of Valentine’s Day approaching, and a date auction.

Sigma Psi Kappa Sorority and Psi Upsilon Fraternity hosted the date auction to fundraise for a charitable organization. All the money raised from auctioning participants was donated to the American Heart Association.

At a date auction, there are no implicit sexual relations with anyone bought. Instead the people who were sold, and their buyers, were sent to a cordoned off area with red tablecloths and food. There, the couples could have a romantic dinner with food provided for the participants.

Throughout the night, the enthusiastic announcer would call off the person to be auctioned and describe them and things they liked, such as their favorite color and meal. The auctionee had the opportunity to stage a performance if they wished, and after they showed off they were bid on.

The bidding wars started at $5 and went from there. Only one war ended at the starting price, the rest kept going and reached incredible heights. Silky Seal from Sigma Psi was auctioned off at a record $200; no other person auctioned came close to that.

The actual auctions themselves were quite a sight. There were some double auctions with two people being sold together. One spectacle involved a man describing his talent as singing, prompting a song from the DJ. He sang the Fresh Prince theme, much to the delight and humor of the crowds.

The finale started when the speaker auctioned herself off; she showed off like no other that night. Then the DJ was auctioned off because people thought he was forgotten. The end finally came when a brother from Psi Upsilon barged onstage to be auctioned off, as the last auctionee of the night.

At the end of the event, Sig raised over an estimated $700. It likely doubled the amount from last year’s approximate $300-$400. It was all for a great cause; at the end, everyone had fun and money was raised for hearts from ours.

“This hilarious night gave me the opportunity to get to know other students in an open and fresh way.” Tony Tretta, one of the participants said.