NJIT Highlanders Get Rocked 4-0 by Manhattan Jaspers

The NJIT Women’s Soccer Team was off to an unsettling start in the first half of Thursday’s match against the Manhattan Jaspers on September 3.

After only eleven minutes of play, Jaspers junior Lizzie Carlson found the back of the net, assisted by senior Emily Ude. Not long after, Ude added a goal of her own, putting the Jaspers at a 2-0 lead very early in the game.

At the midway point of the first half Junior Erica Modena attained the third and last goal for the Jaspers before the break, leaving NJIT down 3-0.

Back on the field after half time, the Highlanders were still attempting to recuperate while the Jaspers came out just as fierce as before. After a mere 1:11 of play into the half, Manhattan junior Tara Teal notched a shot from outside the box into the back of the net.

Now 4-0 in favor of the visiting team, Highlanders picked up the pace and kept the Jaspers out of the net for the remainder of the game.

Starting Manhattan goalkeeper Kristen Skonieczny blocked three of the four shots taken on goal by NJIT while Kelly DiGregorio denied the Highlanders’ last attempt to avoid a shutout.

Manhattan Jaspers kept their momentum from start to finish while the Highlanders struggled in the first half and only picked up the pace late in the second.

Highlanders returned to action Sunday September 6 in Buffalo, NY losing 0-1 against the Canisius Griffins.