Bangladeshi Student’s Association Hosts New Members Welcome Party

By Marzia Rahman

NJIT’s Bangladeshi Student’s Association (BSA) kicked off the start of the new school year by holding a “New Members Welcome Party” this Monday September 14 from 2 to 4 pm at the second floor ballroom A where they featured social activities, free food as well as guest speakers. The event was attended by over 40 people.

BSA is a relatively new club as it was officially recognized by the Senate in the spring of 2015. According to the club’s Facebook page, BSA is an “ethnic and cultural organization which serves NJIT students and [the] community”. It aims to spread diversity by introducing Bangladeshi culture.

According to BSA president, Nazmul Hossain, most students join BSA for all its fun events it hosts as well as the leadership skills and positions it offers.

The event was dedicated to new members of BSA as well as returning BSA members, faculty and NJIT alumni.

Sophomore Parsha Haq said, “[I came to this event] to meet new people who are from my culture [and] in this school. I thought I could make new friends…”

Vice president Neehad Fattah was the host of the program and started off the event with a power point presentation detailing the goals of the club, the members of the executive board and past events the club participated in.

In addition to serving as a social mixer for all its members, the welcome party also featured two faculty speakers, Mr. Tony Howell, executive director of the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) and Dr. Angelo J. Perna, director of the McNair Achievement Program.

Mr. Howell spoke about his role in the EOP program, discussed the importance of students (new and returning) to contribute to NJIT and recounted stories of his past as a member of the Green Berets, Black Ops Ranger (Delta Force) in the US army training Bangladeshi rangers. Mr. Howell emphasized focusing on the community over the individual.

He said, “We need to come together. I showed up here because we need to come together.”

Dr. Perna emphasized the importance of education at NJIT and how that should be the main goal for students, especially first year students.

After the faculty speakers, a jeopardy game was held featuring the following categories: BSA, NJIT and miscellaneous. The winning team will be awarded a prize.

Traditional Bangladeshi cuisine was also served near the end of the event.

Corresponding secretary, Mahdia Choudhury said, “[The] food served were chicken and vegetable biriyani, along with spice sauce and raitaa. There was also soda and water. Dessert was rice pudding.”

The next general body meeting is on Wednesday, September 23 at 3:45 pm in Central King Building room #207.