Magoosh: Vocabulary Builder

Being able to articulate your thoughts, both written and verbally, can be challenging. You may be at a loss of words or feel that you reuse the same vocabulary often. While reading is a good way to improve your knowledge of some words, Magoosh’s Vocabulary Builder offers an alternative.

With over 1 million installations, Magoosh is an online test prep company with a focus on teaching the GRE, GMAT, SAT, and TOEFL through videos and personalized customer support. They also have online courses and blogs for an assortment of topics.

Available on both Android and iOS, Magoosh’s Vocabulary Builder tests the user on three categories: general words, SAT words, and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Totaling 1200 vocab words picked by experts, the app tests your knowledge on words, both new and old.

Once you select your category you have the option to start with basic, intermediate, and advanced sections. Within each section are levels that you proceed through like a traditional game. Once you begin a level, you will be prompted to find the best definition of the chosen word. If you answer incorrectly, the word is recycled within the level for you to try again. Magoosh is practically saying it is okay to be wrong as long as you try again.

Once you complete a level or section, you are free to go through the levels as much as you like. And for those competitive word builders, Magoosh allows its users to compete against other active players.

For more information about Magoosh, check out their website at https://magoosh.com.