Top 10 Summer Kpop Songs 2021

1. Butter – BTS 

• Officially named Song of the Summer in 2021 by Billboard and many other sources, “Butter” was released as a therapeutic song during the hard times of the pandemic. Inspired by Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal”, Queen’s legendary song “Another One Bites the Dust” and daft punk, the song incorporates various 90s references within its lyrics with the added upbeat disco-type vibes in the choreography. 

2. Permission to Dance – BTS 

• This feel-good summer anthem deserves second place because of its distinctive upbeat and cheerful rhythm and unique music video, which features sign language woven into the choreography. Co-written by Ed Sheeran, “Permission to Dance” is BTS’ third English language single release and definitely a memorable song for years to come. 

3. Alcohol-Free – TWICE 

• Starring as the title track in TWICE’s album, “Taste of Love”, “Alcohol-Free” is a song about getting drunk on nothing but love, fusing together the bossa nova and hip-hop genres. Revealing TWICE’s more mature side, the song incorporated various names of alcoholic drinks within its chorus, making it catchy and fun to sing along to with an energetic tropical Latin-themed dance. 

4. Drunk-Dazed – Enhypen 

• As the title track of the artists’ second extended play “Border: Carnival”, “Drunk-Dazed” continues the story being told in the Enhyphen universe. The band members are portrayed as vampires attending a bloody birthday party in an eerie, dark music video with references to Greek mythology. The song is a blend of pop rock with an undertone of EDM and synth, while the lyrics metaphorically represent the band members’ transition from trainees to idols. 

5. LO$ER=LO♡ER – TXT 

• A continuation of “I Know I Love You,” “LO$ER=LO♡ER” is a song about wanting to be someone’s lover, despite seeming like a loser to the world. The song features emo pop rock vibes and rebellious angst through its message about modern day youth, which is also reflected in the music video where each member portrays a different aspect of difficulties faced by young adults. 

6. Don’t Fight the Feeling – EXO 

• This song is special because it marked the return of band members Xiumin and D.O. from military service and Lay, who was on hiatus. It is also a celebration of EXO’s nine-year anniversary. “Don’t Fight the Feeling” mixes dance, pop and synth, while having gospel chords in its pre-chorus. The song is about believing in oneself and looking forward to the future. Meanwhile, the music video is reminiscent of the music video of Exo’s 2017 song “Power” and continues the storyline with the band members as superheroes in space again. Most importantly, despite the greenscreen behind Lay, fans were all excited to see him back. 

7. Paint the Town – LOONA 

• Starting off with very mysterious, dark vibes, “Paint the Town” transitions into a very Bollywood-esque song with a powerful rush of Indian drums, strings and flute. The song is about relieving all your worries to dance the night away, and the unique instruments mixed with bass and dubstep create a powerful ambience similar to Black Pink’s “Kill This Love.” This song is also special because it included LOONA’s leader, HaSeul, who recently returned from her 18-month mental health hiatus.  

8. Make It – 2PM 

• 2PM returns from a five-year hiatus with their new song “Make It,” with their last album released in 2015. Written and composed by member Wooyoung, “Make It” is the title track of album “MUST”, and it is an R&B song about an intense love at first sight and the desire to turn this feeling into a relationship. The concept for the song is 1930s gentleman and has a similar groove to 2PM’s ever so popular song “My House,” whose acoustic version is also in the album. The music video gives nostalgia of early 2000s Kpop styles, with a girl capturing a boy’s attention and an apocalypse.  

9. Outsider – BTOB 

• “Outsider” is the title track for BTOB’s new album “4U: Outside,” which is a special album as two of the band members are in mandatory military service. Co-written by members Minhyuk and Peniel, the song encourages people to be themselves and is considered to be neo-funk and neo-soul styled, as well as groovy and jazzy, which is something the band hasn’t explored that much musically. The outside-the-box music video featured many classic and modern-day movie references including Sin City, Warm Bodies and James Bond, as well as an eye-catching synchronized choreography.   

10.  BTW – Jay B 

• This song is the title track to Got7 leader Jay B’s debut solo mini album called “SOMO:FUME,” which features Korean American musician Jay Park. Got7’s leader takes a masterful command over the R&B genre. The song is groovy and sleep-dreamy, with sexy lyrics that are about being in love and the desire to be close to the one you love and give them all your love. The minimalistic music video radiates summer vibes with a house party concept and laid-back mood. However, the vibe changes when Jay Park joins Jay B, ending up in a jet taking in their success.  

Top 20 Kpop Songs of 2020  

1.Dynamite – BTS 

2.MAGO – GFRIEND 

3.Criminal – Taemin 

4. Psycho – Red Velvet 

5.Left and Right – SEVENTEEN 

6. I Can’t Stop Me – TWICE 

7.La Di Da – Everglow 

8.Back Door – Stray Kids 

9. Wannabe – ITZY 

10. Kick It – NCT 

11.Gods Menu – Stray kids 

12. Can’t you see me – TXT 

13. Last Piece – Got7 

14. Open Mind – Wonho 

15. Any song – ZICO 

16. Given-Taken – Enhypen 

17. Answer – ATEEZ 

18. Wayo – Bang Yedam  

19. No Manners – SuperM  

20. Reveal – The Boyz