“Green” Robes for Commencement 2016

Micaela Itona

This year’s commencement will be markedly different from last year’s – but in a simple, subtle, yet major way. The robes worn by the entire graduating class of 2016 will have been manufactured entirely from recycled plastic bottles.

The robes are distributed by the American company, Oak Hall Cap and Gown. They provide the robes worn by the United States Supreme Court as well. “We were very impressed by the quality of their attire and, of course, the fact that it is made from recycled plastic bottles,” says assistant director in the Office of Special Events Gabrielle Cuzzola. The prices of the robes vary little from the robes distributed by previous providers, with a $3 increase in robe prices for undergraduates and $1 decrease in the price of gowns for masters.

It was the NJIT bookstore staff that did research on the school’s new gown source when the Commencement Committee was given the chance to switch gown vendors. The choice is in line with a very environmentally conscious approach to logistics. It represents a small step in making a huge shift to more environmentally conscious actions.