Club Spotlight: New Jersey Society of Professional Land Surveyors NJIT Chapter

The New Jersey Society of Professional Land Surveyors NJIT Chapter is expanding its Executive Board and gearing up for its first general meeting of the year. Interested students can join and gain access to a wealth of information, resources and networking opportunities to build their careers while completing coursework. 

Networking is an incredibly important part of landing internships and making crucial connections to land your first job outside of college. With surveying being a relatively small profession, Chapter President James Bronico, Jr. knows first-hand how important networking within the industry is and makes sure members can remain connected. He, along with many of their members, has secured internships and post-graduation roles through networking within the NJSPLS and state conferences. “In my opinion, networking is probably one of the most important aspects of the club,” Bronico said. “You have access to the rest of the community by knowing just one person in the industry.” 

NJIT’s student chapter is more than just an opportunity for surveying engineering technology and civil engineering majors to get to network. Members are able to familiarize themselves with state-of-the-art equipment replaced every two years by Leica. With access to this equipment, students can learn the latest techniques while also completing projects throughout the year. Surveying engineering technology and civil engineers aren’t the only students who can benefit from chapter membership.  

“The biggest thing for non-surveying and civil engineering majors are the resources the club can provide to other degrees that can help them with their projects,” Bronico said. “This technology can 3D scan buildings and reality capture on large levels, which is really important for game development.”  

The chapter is kicking off their year with their first general meeting on Oct. 25 in the Central King Building, Room 222 at 5:45 p.m. This meeting will allow members to meet the current officers of the Eboard and inquire about open positions on the board. After this meeting, the chapter plans to have speaking engagements with commitments from industry professionals at well-known consultant companies like Bowman and Langan. Study sessions for licensing exams, competitions and career fairs will be coming throughout the year. 

Select members will have the opportunity to attend SurvCon 2022 this February in Atlantic City. Attendees will get access to 32 hours of professional development opportunities by industry leaders from around the country. This conference is a great opportunity for students to hear from the top companies in the country while networking with professionals in the industry. 

Students interested in joining can reach out to [email protected] or find them on Discord at https://discord.gg/K9cXUP43eZ for more information.