“Stuck Together” Review

Do you remember in March 2020 when COVID-19 was declared a pandemic? Released on Oct. 20 by Netflix, the French film “Stuck Together” is about a group of people who live in the same apartment and learn to adapt to their changing circumstances during a lockdown in Paris. The residents of the apartment include a couple with a daughter, a father with two kids, a woman who sells alcohol, a young couple and a health worker.  

It is apparent from the beginning of the movie that each character has a different view of the pandemic. These characters are all symbolic of people in real life who took varying approaches to the pandemic. For the couple who has one daughter, the father is obsessed with keeping himself safe from the virus. The father’s actions are frequently humorous, such as when he pulls out a digital thermometer in front of police officers to make sure they do not have temperatures, and then they arrest him because they believe he is carrying a weapon. His wife, on the other hand, is less fearful about the virus. The other father with two kids is the most agitated resident, who believes the virus is a hoax. In addition to the families with children, there is a man whose wife is hospitalized with COVID-19 and a scientist who claims have found a vaccine for the virus.  

Throughout the movie, the residents become better acquainted with each other after speaking to each other for the first time when they wait for their COVID-19 test results. Although the couples argue with one another because of the stress from the lockdown, they learn to comfort one another. This film could be great to watch in a few decades, since it will remind people of the difficulties and lessons of the beginning of the pandemic. Although the movie takes place in France, similar lockdowns were happening in many countries during this time period. This movie can be relatable to anyone who has lived through the pandemic. Most people know friends or family who were sick with COVID-19, who took safety measures more seriously than others or who had trouble maintaining healthy relationships with their partners or children.  

If you want to remember the events of the beginning of the pandemic, such as the lockdown, Zoom calls and shortage of masks, this is a great movie for you. If you would rather forget those months, this film may not be fit for you. Overall, I would say the movie was entertaining, but could have been improved with a better storyline to make it more unique. I would give this a 3.5 out of five.