The Award Goes to…

By: Scott M. Waldman

Film is always at competition with itself.

Whether in the box office, overall sales, or general critical consensus, films are constantly critiqued on their acting, writing, directing, music, editing, makeup, visuals, and other features. Critics are looking to see improvement in filmographic and cinematic technique from previous years. Films and movies which exhibit the best of these features are recognized at multiple shows. Presentation at these events will excite or anger fans, as well as influence ratings when the featured films and movies are reviewed.

Critics, producers, and viewers who sponsor or host events sometimes determine the winners of these awards. Recognition for films that stood out throughout the year usually occurs at the end of the year. Films usually stand out not only because of their cinematic and filmographic qualities, but also because they may top records for having the most tickets bought. In the end, these ceremonies celebrate 365 days of new films—covering films released at all times of the year.

In order to achieve an award in any category, one must excel beyond everyone else who tried during the competition year.

As a director, one must portray their film with stunning sequences and charisma, which can only be sold as elegant and well put together in terms of storytelling and overall development.

As a writer, the story must be something beyond creative or compelling whether in a fictional or nonfictional reality.

As an actor or actress, one must be the character they portray and steal the show in terms of emotional, unemotional (if portraying an antagonist or machine), character development, or another category that redefines what it means to “Play” or “Be” a character.

Overall, a film recognized at a festival must be special. Every film that is made has something “Special” whether it’s good, bad, or even confusing when it comes to those mind-warping films. Even if the screen is nothing but a blank white screen with little to no words of dialogue, it can be worthy of recognition whether for the best or the worst.

Besides recognition in a physical form, the shows bring recognition to those films worthy of being viewed not just by critics, but by everyone. These shows spread each film’s excellence to the world. These films are not just for those who have “Taste” or a “Critical” mind, but for those who want something diverse, something original, or something revolutionary. This is not just a competition for “Who’s the Best”, but a yearbook or catalogue full of kings, queens, best or worst dressed, “Most Likely to Succeed”, and everything that sums up film in its respective time period. Even the voter controversies bring more publicity to individual films than none at all. Although the Lego Movie (2014) isn’t nominated for “Best Animated Feature”, it still set a ton of internet buzz in terms of the public’s reaction and the writer’s reaction. As a year, 2014 produced some one-of-a-kind work including Boyhood (2014), Birdman (2014), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), The Theory of Everything (2014), The Imitation Game (2014), and Selma (2014). Each is special in its own way, and deserves recognition whether it wins, is nominated, or sparks an entire social network crisis. An award is an achievement in itself, but being remembered for what you are at one time and possibly for the rest of time itself might be the deciding factor of what you believe is truly special.