Advice from Public Safety on Staying Safe

As a student at a school like NJIT, it’s very easy to gain book smarts. However, going to school in an urban setting inhabited by thousands of people will also require students to have street smarts for their safety. Here are 10 quick and easy tips to help students gain the street smarts vital for their own safety:

1. When going off campus, travel in numbers, and avoid walking at night.
  2. Understand the city’s public transportation system to find the quickest and safest route.
  3. Refrain from wearing flashy clothing or openly carrying or using electronic devices to avoid attracting attention to yourself.
  4. Avoid eye contact with strangers. When confronted, respond politely but briefly and move on.
  5. Stay calm in any public and do not look afraid or vulnerable.
  6. Do not refuse when asked to hand over valuables. Your health and safety are always most important.
  7. Walking through campuses is safer than walking through neighboring streets.
  8. Avoid walking near alleyways, dark pathways, or bushes where people can hide. Walk on brightly lit streets.
  9. Keep all emergency phone numbers on your phone. Save the emergency number on speed dial to quickly reach out and contact police.
  10. Most importantly, be aware of your surroundings. If someone is following you, change the side of the street you are walking on, enter a building and contact police.