Club Spotlight: Society of Musical Arts

NJIT’s Society of Musical Arts is the perfect organization to join if you would like to showcase your musical talents! This can include an instrumental as well as vocal presence on campus.  

There are three instrumental ensembles: jazz, wind and string, which respectively meet in Central King Building Room 116 Tuesdays from 7–9 p.m., Wednesdays from 4–5:30 p.m. and Thursdays from 4–5:30 p.m. There are also two vocal groups, Gigabeats and Saavan, in which students can participate. Other independent groups include the Pep Band and Elementals.  

The society’s general body meetings are usually held in their office in Campus Center’s basement Room B11. There is a practice room available in Room B49 as well! 

The organization holds events throughout the semester, which include Open Mic Nights and Karaoke Nights. It also collaborates with other NJIT groups to engage with the campus community as much as possible. The next event scheduled is an Open Mic Night happening on Thursday, Nov. 18 from 7–10 p.m. in Campus Center’s Highlander Pub! Feel free to attend to eat, hang out and watch your fellow talented students perform, all while having a blast! 

Society of Musical Arts is proud to be an organization that allows students to express themselves through this art form. It gives students the opportunity to destress from all the academic work they take on during the week. As a bonus, students can showcase their talents or even learn new skills through the club.  

Members of the organization are delighted to have a space that is safe and welcoming to all students. The club motivates students and gives them confidence to try new initiatives musically, while also making sure they’re comfortable with whatever they do. It’s always an enjoyable time to spend a few hours a week with people who have similar interests and connections to music as themselves.  

There are several times that the various groups perform, including Homecoming, athletic games, club events and end-of-semester concerts. The jazz ensemble is having its concert Dec. 10 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the wind and string ensembles are having a joint concert performance Dec. 13 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Both concerts will be held in the Campus Center Atrium. Even if you’re not part of the organization, make sure to come and support your talented peers!